Visual Journalist, KPCC (2012 – present)
- Pitch, report, design, and develop platform-specific visual content including motion graphics, video and photos.
- Contributed to the launch and production of KPCC’s AudioVision visuals blog.
- Cover themes specific to Los Angeles including drought, police-community relations and immigration.
Adjunct Instructor, USC Annenberg School for Journalism (Fall 2016)
- Taught a 16-week visual journalism course to journalism students.
- Produced lesson plans, led presentations and hands-on workshops on photo, video and social media.
- Completed Poynter-Cronkite Certificate Program for Adjunct Instructors.
Guest lecturing experience: Cal State Fullerton College of Communications, Loyola Marymount University English Department, Asian American Journalists Association National Convention, V3 Digital Media Conference.
Staff Photojournalist, Antelope Valley Press (2011 – 2012)
- Covered news for a desert community north of Los Angeles.
- Pitched and produced independent photo stories including following the area’s first roller derby team.
Intern & Freelance Photojournalist, Los Angeles Daily News (2011)
- Pitched, produced photo essays, videos and news stories.
- Produced a video and written feature about a stand-up comic turned professional gunslinger.
Intern & Freelance Photojournalist, Orange County Register (2011)
- Reported stories and captured images for online photo galleries and print
- Pitched, produced written feature and photos of a Spanish-speaking herder living with 300 brush-clearing goats.
- Motion graphic, video and photo production.
- Teaching: classroom management, curriculum and lesson plan development, testing and evaluation.
- Reporting, scripting and news writing.
- Adept at Adobe After Effects, Character Animator, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere Pro.
- Agile project management.
- Basic knowledge of HTML, object-oriented programming.
- Conversational Spanish.
GRANTS & DEVELOPMENT
Co-Director & Mentor, AAJA Voices (2015 – present)
- Lead multimedia journalism training fellowship for college and graduate students including a hands-on, week-long summer training during the AAJA National Convention.
- Provide one-one-one mentorship to college students in the months before and after training.
Grant Recipient, Bridget O’Brien Scholarship (2009 – 2010)
- Worked as part of a two-person team to produce an investigative series from West Africa examining the exploitation of young basketball players.
- Project was named the Society of Professional Journalists’ National Winner for In-Depth Reporting and the Associated Collegiate Press’ National First Place Multimedia Story of the Year.
Multimedia Participant, Mountain Workshops (2011)
- One of 20 photojournalists selected nationally for the five-day intensive Western Kentucky University workshop.
- Produced short-form video about recovered alcoholic single mother with a developmentally disabled daughter.