Visual Journalist, KPCC (2012 – present)
- Pitch, report, design, and develop platform-specific visual content including motion graphics, video and photos.
- Lead and oversee KPCC's visual editorial strategy with the objective of serving our digital content to more people. Ensure our visual editorial content is consistent with KPCC’s overall visual brand.
- Prioritize audience experience while translating radio and digital stories into compelling visuals.
- Analyze metrics to evaluate the success of visual content and strategize how KPCC can reach new digital audiences through visual content.
- Work in a high-pressure newsroom environment covering breaking news stories and collaborating with reporters on long-term investigations.
- Responsible for improving visual literacy across the newsroom through trainings and other educational initiatives.
- Contributed to the launch and production of KPCC’s AudioVision, a digital product focused on visual journalism and culture from Southern California.
Adjunct Instructor, USC Annenberg School for Journalism (Fall 2016)
- Taught a 16-week visual journalism course to journalism students.
- Produced lesson plans, led presentations and hands-on workshops on photo, video and social media.
- Completed Poynter-Cronkite Certificate Program for Adjunct Instructors.
Guest lecturing experience: Cal State Fullerton College of Communications, Loyola Marymount University English Department, Asian American Journalists Association National Convention, V3 Digital Media Conference.
Staff Photojournalist, Antelope Valley Press (2011 – 2012)
- Covered news for a desert community north of Los Angeles.
- Pitched and produced independent photo stories including following the area’s first roller derby team.
Intern & Freelance Photojournalist, Los Angeles Daily News (2011)
- Pitched, produced photo essays, videos and news stories.
- Produced a video and written feature about a stand-up comic turned professional gunslinger.
Intern & Freelance Photojournalist, Orange County Register (2011)
- Reported stories and captured images for online photo galleries and print
- Pitched, produced written feature and photos of a Spanish-speaking herder living with 300 brush-clearing goats.
- Motion graphic, video and photo production.
- Teaching: classroom management, curriculum and lesson plan development, testing and evaluation.
- Reporting, scripting and news writing.
- Adept at Adobe After Effects, Character Animator, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere Pro.
- Basic knowledge of user experience design thinking, agile project management.
- Basic knowledge of HTML, object-oriented programming.
- Conversational Spanish.
GRANTS & DEVELOPMENT
Co-Director & Mentor, AAJA Voices (2015 – present)
- Lead a year-round multimedia journalism fellowship for more than 25 minority college students and mid-career mentors.
- Lead a selection process of more than one hundred mentor and student applications.
- Help coordinate sponsorships and balance a program budget.
- Plan three months of off-site programming and editorial content production.
- Plan and lead one week of on-site programming during the AAJA National Convention.
- Provide one-on-one mentorship to college journalism students with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Grant Recipient, Bridget O’Brien Scholarship (2009 – 2010)
- Worked as part of a two-person team to produce an investigative series from West Africa examining the exploitation of young basketball players.
- Project was named the Society of Professional Journalists’ National Winner for In-Depth Reporting and the Associated Collegiate Press’ National First Place Multimedia Story of the Year.
Multimedia Participant, Mountain Workshops (2011)
- One of 20 photojournalists selected nationally for the five-day intensive Western Kentucky University workshop.
- Produced short-form video about recovered alcoholic single mother with a developmentally disabled daughter.