Video Editor for The Lily, Washington Post (December 2017 – Present)
- Pitched and developed the strategy for "When Used Correctly," The Lily's first weekly show. Produce, shoot and edit the show.
- Lead The Lily's video strategy, as part of The Post’s Emerging News Products team.
- Produce, shoot and edit The Lily's video.
Visual Journalist, KPCC (October 2012 – November 2017)
- Pitch, report, design, and develop platform-specific visual content including motion graphics, video and photos.
- Lead and oversee KPCC's visual editorial strategy with the objective of serving our digital content to more people. Ensure our visual editorial content is consistent with KPCC’s overall visual brand.
- Analyze metrics to evaluate the success of visual content and strategize how KPCC can reach new digital audiences through visual content.
- Contributed to the launch and production of KPCC’s AudioVision, a digital product focused on visual journalism and culture from Southern California.
Adjunct Instructor, USC Annenberg School for Journalism (Fall 2016)
- Taught a 16-week visual journalism course to journalism students.
- Produced lesson plans, led presentations and hands-on workshops on photo, video and social media.
- Completed Poynter-Cronkite Certificate Program for Adjunct Instructors.
Guest lecturing experience: Cal State Fullerton College of Communications, Loyola Marymount University English Department, Asian American Journalists Association National Convention, V3 Digital Media Conference and Online News Association Los Angeles.
Staff Photojournalist, Antelope Valley Press (October 2011 – 2012)
- Covered news for a desert community north of Los Angeles.
- Pitched and produced independent photo stories including following the area’s first roller derby team.
Intern & Freelance Photojournalist, Los Angeles Daily News (2011)
- Pitched, produced photo essays, videos and news stories.
- Produced a video and written feature about a stand-up comic turned professional gunslinger.
Intern & Freelance Photojournalist, Orange County Register (2011)
- Reported stories and captured images for online photo galleries and print
- Pitched, produced written feature and photos of a Spanish-speaking herder living with 300 brush-clearing goats.
- Video production, shooting and editing.
- Motion graphics and animation.
- Photo editing and graphic design.
- Teaching: classroom management, curriculum and lesson plan development, testing and evaluation.
- Reporting, scripting and news writing.
- Adept at Adobe After Effects, Character Animator, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere Pro.
- Basic knowledge of user experience design thinking, agile project management.
- Basic knowledge of HTML, object-oriented programming.
- Conversational Spanish.
GRANTS & DEVELOPMENT
Co-Director & Mentor, AAJA Voices (2015 – present)
- Lead a year-round multimedia journalism fellowship for more than 25 minority college students and mid-career mentors.
- Lead a selection process of more than one hundred mentor and student applications.
- Help coordinate sponsorships and balance a program budget.
- Plan three months of off-site programming and editorial content production.
- Plan and lead one week of on-site programming during the AAJA National Convention.
- Provide one-on-one mentorship to college journalism students with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Grant Recipient, Bridget O’Brien Scholarship (2009 – 2010)
- Worked as part of a two-person team to produce an investigative series from West Africa examining the exploitation of young basketball players.
- Project was named the Society of Professional Journalists’ National Winner for In-Depth Reporting and the Associated Collegiate Press’ National First Place Multimedia Story of the Year.
Multimedia Participant, Mountain Workshops (2011)
- One of 20 photojournalists selected nationally for the five-day intensive Western Kentucky University workshop.
- Produced short-form video about recovered alcoholic single mother with a developmentally disabled daughter.